Introduction: The Volkswagen ID4 is the German automaker’s first software defined vehicle and it is receiving a lot of attention. In this article, we take a closer look at the vehicle and explore some of its features and flaws. The author shares his personal experiences with the ID4 and provides insights that are aimed at anyone considering buying or leasing this electric vehicle.
2022 Left Driving Car Volkswagen ID6 ID4 Crozz PRO Prime Pure+ Full Color ID6X 7-Seater Electric Vehicle SUV pic.twitter.com/wpEYK2BvN4
— Siri Yu (@Tracyvette) December 5, 2022
Reasons to Love the ID4
- Fun to Drive: The ID4 is a great car to drive and provides a smooth and enjoyable driving experience. The author notes that “The ID4 is legit fun to drive. The basics are all solid; no surprise from the brand that brought the world the Golf GTI. The driver has a great view of the road ahead, and rearward visibility through the middle headrest and over the parcel shelf is fine. It’s not Tesla Plaid quick, but with a seamless, single-speed transmission and instant torque delivery common to EVs, our rear-wheel-drive 201-hp ID4 easily dips and dives through traffic, with light and tight steering that’s devoid of slop.”
- Great Turning Radius: One of the ID4’s greatest party tricks is its super-tight turning radius. The author states, “It rides well, too, better than it should, given its 19-inch wheels, perhaps thanks to the Bridgestone Alenza Sport all-season tires and thoughtful damper tuning. But the ID4’s single greatest party trick is a super-tight turning radius.”
- Spacious Interior: The ID4 is surprisingly spacious inside, with a massive cargo area. The author notes, “Solo pictures of the ID4 may suggest it’s a smallish VW GTI-sized hatchback, but in truth, it’s about 50 percent larger than you might think. When you see it next to other cars on the road, it clicks. The ID4 is more Honda CRV-sized, but it looks lower slung than your average crossover.”
2022 Volkswagen ID4 EV Shows Off Its Simple, Tesla-Like Interior https://t.co/FhZRHZJK2Q pic.twitter.com/BO0eJIccRW
— Washery (@WasheryApp) September 5, 2020
Reasons You Might Hate the ID4
- Infuriating Key System: One of the major frustrations with the ID4 is the key system. The author explains, “Like many modern cars, the ID4 uses a smart key system with a proximity sensor built into the key fob. The old-school way would be to just hit the key fob to unlock the doors before entering, but the fuss-free way is to just walk up to the car and get in, without having to get into a pocket and touch the key.”
- Inconsistent Door Unlocking: The proximity sensor can also be mildly infuriating, as the author explains, “In practice, the system can be mildly infuriating, seeming to always leave the opposite-side rear door locked, just when you need it.”
Is the ID4 fun to drive?
Yes, the ID4 is a great car to drive and provides a smooth and enjoyable driving experience.
What is one of the ID4’s greatest party tricks?
The ID4 has a super-tight turning radius, which is one of its greatest party tricks.
Is the ID4 spacious inside?
Yes, the ID4 is surprisingly spacious inside, with a massive cargo area.
What is one of the major frustrations with the ID4?
One of the major frustrations with the ID4 is the key system and the inconsistent door unlocking feature.